[GTALUG] Linus blaming Intel for lack of ECC in consumer systems

Nicholas Krause xerofoify at gmail.com
Sat Jan 16 23:04:30 EST 2021

On 1/16/21 10:41 PM, James Knott via talk wrote:
> On 2021-01-16 10:33 p.m., D. Hugh Redelmeier via talk wrote:
>> This is something I quite agree with.  I gave up complaining about 20
>> years ago but would welcome a change:
>
> As a computer tech, having worked with computers such as the VAX 11/780
> and Data General Eclipse, before I ever touched a PC, I'd have to agree.

The other two that annoy me are trying to lock down the number of PCI-E
lanes or amount of memory. At least AMD fixed that with Threadripper
Pro. Intel really needs to stop letting their marketing team create
artificial limits in the product stack. My predication is if ECC were
more mainstream actually prices for it would probably stop being 2-3x
or even more like they are currently. A lot of people I know if they
can use ECC choose not to due to this issue and it being mainstream
would help with this. Unfortunately, Intel isn't the only company
that creates artificial limits in their hardware stack. It's a good
example of why having your marketing team run the product stack is
a bad idea, sign. Linus should be complaining about these limits
and it's a wonder he hasn't been more vocal about it.

At least AMD tries their best to not limit the stack if possible for
example board compatibility is far better so long as you flash a new
BIOs for the next generation chips and even listened when users
wanted more support but they were going to stop first/second generation
Ryzen if I recall correctly with new chips,
Nick