[GTALUG] David Tilbrook

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Sat Jan 16 01:27:51 EST 2021

David Tilbrook passed away in the night yesterday.  COVID-19, dammit.

David had given a couple of talks at GTALUG.

He was a long-time UNIX guy.  We did CS degrees at the same time at the
University of Toronto.  He was an official member of DGP (I was only a
guest) where (and when) the first U of T UNIX system was installed.

We and Rob Pike worked on text editors (ed, qed), among other things.

You know when a GUI interface changes the cursor symbol to indicate that
the system is busy?  He invented that.

He was one of the founders of HCR, a Toronto UNIX software house.

He did a lot of interesting things, knew a lot of interesting people, and
had a lot of interesting stories.  He has a good family too.

I miss him.  In fact, I've missed him for a year -- we were planning to
visit when COVID showed up.  "We" included Christopher Browne, now also
passed.