[GTALUG] The Best of GTALUG

Russell Reiter rreiter91 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 15 08:06:55 EST 2021

On Monday, 11 January 2021, Warren McPherson via talk <talk at gtalug.org>
wrote:

> I would love to hear people's thoughts about the best things about GTALug.
> For me, there is an element of digital citizenship that is uncelebrated but
> remarkably compelling. I would love to hear the thoughts of other people in
> the group.
>
> I have two questions in mind.
>
> What was a moment for you of GTALUG at it's best?
> What would you like to see more of, or what direction would be good to
> explore?

One of my warmest memories was volunteering at the TLUG booth at Comdex at
one time or another back in 97/98. Proselytizing Linux and handing out swag
to Mac and Windows users was a lot of interesting fun. The standout moment
of community for me was when I was tapped to organize that years BoF talk.

I checked out the room just to make ready a half hour or so before the time
and walked around a bit and happened to see that Jon "Maddog" Hall was on a
Sun sponsored speaking tour in a room just down the way. I caught the last
10 minutes of his talk and just walked up to him and introduced myself as a
TLUG member and our BoF was in just a few minutes and would he come by just
to say hi. His sun handler spoke up and said we have a news conference, we
don't have time. I'll never forget, Jon looked at him and said "I have to
do this" these are my peers or words to that effect.

Afterwords we went for burgers and beer at a nearby pub. Pretty much a good
time was had by all but I'll never forget how he handled the handler. Not I
want to do this but I have to do this. It's how I've personally framed my
advocacy and volunteering ever since then.

There were other experiences, hanging out in a warehouse of obsoleted
486's; testing parts and installing a pared down Debian 64mb of install
files running on 4mb ram. That was fun too but I'll never forget meeting
Jon and that he had to meet us.

Cheers
Russell

--