[GTALUG] The Best of GTALUG

Anthony de Boer adb at adb.ca
Mon Jan 11 22:41:10 EST 2021

Warren McPherson via talk wrote:
> What was a moment for you of GTALUG at it's best?

Way back when an actual published book about Linux was a totally new
concept, O'Reilly sent Matt Welsh on a book tour to support "Running
Linux" and there was a tour stop in Toronto.  I was sitting in the second
row just behind Drew Sullivan.  Matt started describing the then-latest
features in Linux, including its ability to run SCO Unix binaries.  Drew
started to correct various technical points, exasperating Matt to the
point he stopped and exclaimed "_I_ wrote the book!" to which Drew
replied "Yes, but I wrote the kernel code".

And I'd be remiss to not mention the otherwise-totally-forgettable
computer show downtown that had gotten Linus Torvalds to fly to Toronto.
TLUG (as we were then called) presented him with a TLUG hockey jersey
with a big "1" on the back.  There was a beer reception afterward.

--
Anthony de Boer