[GTALUG] [GTALUG-Announce] On the recent GTALUG Outage

Rouben rouben at rouben.net
Thu Jan 7 14:29:03 EST 2021

I work at UofT in IT and can inquire to see if UofT would be interested in
hosting GTALUG infrastructure. Would this be of interest to the community?
Any reasons (eg. reservations/requirements/bylaws/rules) against this?

Rouben

On Thu, Jan 7, 2021 at 14:17 D. Hugh Redelmeier via talk <talk at gtalug.org>
wrote:

> | From: Scott Sullivan <scott at revident.net>
>
> | We have great thanks to express to Hugh Redelmeier. A steadfast
> volunteer and
> | contributor of our community. Uncoordinated with the board, he reached
> out our
> | provider and offered to pay the bill. Successful by-passing our
> | misunderstandings, hotfixing the situation, and bringing us back
> on-line. He
> | will be compensated for an out of pocket costs.
>
> 1. The fix is temporary.  Linode has reinstated the server for the rest of
>    the billing cycle (I don't know how long that is; I've asked).  They
>    will get back to me about what I/we can do.
>
> 2. I offered to pay.  I don't know if they actually charged me.  If so,
>    I'm happy to contribute that to GTALUG.  Thanks for the several offers
>    of financial help.  Don't worry about it (unless this becomes
>    permanent).
>
> 3. I explicitly did not represent myself as authorized to linode.  I have
>    no admin access or anything like it.  GTALUG needs admin access to the
>    server or it needs to replace the server.  In other words: we still
>    have a problem.  This just buys GTALUG a bit of time.
>
> | Speaking personally, these are hard times. I as I've returned to help
> bridge
> | the gap from Chris's passing, I've found to many functions and knowledge
> and
> | pool in to few people and was not being effectively taught to new
> | contributors.
>
> This is a real problem with community groups.  It can be addressed but it
> isn't easy.  GTALUG has done amazingly well.
>
> | In the past, the board was just the voting head of a rotating group of
> some
> | 10-15 individuals that contributed and attended the executive meetings.
>
> That seems like a very healthy number, based on my experience with other
> groups.

> Unsubscribe from this mailing list

Rouben