[GTALUG] Booting linux from nvme disk?

Jamon Camisso jamonation at gmail.com
Thu Dec 9 22:18:47 EST 2021

On 09/12/2021 22:03, Peter King via talk wrote:
> Long overdue follow-up:
<snip>
> Anyway, the old ways are sometimes the best; grub2 does the job and only
> adds an annoying few seconds to the boot time.  Since I plan to leave the
> computer on 24/7, that will only be a very occasional inconvenience.

I'm late to the party (everyone has already gone home apparently), but
this is what I used to boot Arch directly with efi stub and an encrypted
root partition:

efibootmgr --disk /dev/nvme0n1 --part 1 --create --label "Arch linux"
--loader /vmlinuz-linux --unicode
'root=cryptdevice=/dev/nvmen1p3:cryptroot root=/dev/mapper/cryptroot
quiet audit=0 pcie_aspm=off rw initrd=\initramfs-linux.img' --verbose

Cheers, Jamon