[GTALUG] Win 11 requirements may be windfall for cheapskate Linux users

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Sun Aug 29 01:19:15 EDT 2021

Win 11 has requirements that seem to obsolete a bunch of quite recent
processors and devices.

Windows can be manually updated on these machines but they will feel
obsolete.

- TPM 2.0 required.  Documented a lot of places.  It can be added to many
  systems that don't have it.

- obsolete: Ryzen 1 and older AMD

- obsolete: most Intel Core 7th gen and all older

- obsolete: any device that has no DCH driver (these can include things on
  the motherboard)

- unknown: Atom-based processor (like I'm  typing this on).

All these will still work fine with Linux.

I don't think any of my systems will qualify for Win 11.

<https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2021/08/loosened-windows-11-requirements-cover-the-surface-studio-2-but-not-much-else/>
<https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2021/08/why-windows-11-has-such-strict-hardware-requirements-according-to-microsoft/>