[GTALUG] intel graphics announcement

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Wed Aug 25 14:45:46 EDT 2021

| From: Lennart Sorensen via talk <talk at gtalug.org>

| On Tue, Aug 24, 2021 at 06:20:45PM -0400, Scott Sullivan via talk wrote:

| > The High Preformance cards are still to hit the market. And while it's going
| > to be a while for Game developers to smooth over the rough edges in software
| > support, we're already seeing real products leveraging the new graphics for
| > gaming on hand held PC platforms.
|
| It should not be up to game developers to fix issues, the driver
| developers should make the drivers work properly.

I'm not in the gaming world.  Not as a producer and not as a consumer.
So what I say is unreliable.

Here's why I think that game developers need to help make the Xe
platform useful for games.

Games tend to need high performance graphics.  Games that don't are
not relevant to this discussion.

Games are coded to the platform.

They have often been enticed to use features that are only on one
platform.  For example, NVIDIA's PhysX SDK.  Or NVIDIA's ray tracing
hardware.

They have often been optimized to run on particular hardware.  Or
separately optimized for different achitectures.  But optimizing for
Xe is surely just beginning.