[GTALUG] intel graphics announcement

Scott Sullivan scott at revident.net
Tue Aug 24 18:20:45 EDT 2021

On 2021-08-17 09:37, Lennart Sorensen via talk wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 16, 2021 at 03:49:08PM -0500, o1bigtenor via talk wrote:
>> Found an announcement from INtel that they are getting back, I think,
>> into
>> graphics cards - - - in a big way.
>>
>> Did some searching - - - - all I can find is 'purdy pitchers' and swag
>> for
>> sale.
>>
>> Is this some more fud or is intel serious?
>>
>> Anyone out there know - - - if so I'm guessing it will be 24 months
>> before
>> anything useful shows up - - -yes?
>>
>> Please advise
>
> Hasn't intel been supposed to get back into graphics cards many times
> now?
>
> I won't hold my breath. :)

The physical hardware is already out there. The DG1 is a spun out
version of the Xe graphics in the 11th Gen CPU/iGPUs, and is already
shipping in OEM systems.
A low end card that meets the bottom tier of dGPU from Nvidia, but as a
test of the waters, it's showing good promise for scaled up cards.

Gamers Nexus
We Got an Intel GPU: Intel Iris Xe DG1 Video Card Review, Benchmarks, &
Architecture
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSseaknEv9Q

Intel GPU A Real Threat: Adobe Premiere, Handbrake, & Production
Benchmarks on DG1 Iris Xe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uW4U6n-r3_0

The High Preformance cards are still to hit the market. And while it's
going to be a while for Game developers to smooth over the rough edges
in software support, we're already seeing real products leveraging the
new graphics for gaming on hand held PC platforms.

LowSpecGamer
Heavy Gaming on the GPD Win 3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNfbfPhOiE0

Intel is dead serious on entering the market for dedicated high
performance graphics cards.

--
Scott Sullivan