[GTALUG] war story: horrible colours on Seiki TV under Fedora 34

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Tue Aug 10 09:57:50 EDT 2021

| From: Stewart C. Russell via talk <talk at gtalug.org>

| I'd be happy to lend you my ColorHug. Takes about 15 minutes. You will
| be amazed at how less blue everything looks, because vendors always set
| monitors for maximum brightness and coolness to wow people on the shop
| floor.

That's a very kind offer.  I may take you up on it once the plague is
under better control.

I'm suffering whiplash from the transition from yellow overload of
the bad profile to the blue-forward of the Dell profiles.

I don't really like to black-box nature of the profile presentation
through the Gnome GUI. There should be some tool to examine and nudge a
profile in useful ways. I'm tired of spelunking to find the right software
tools for all these miscellaneous tasks.

I wonder if Windows has a colour profile for this monitor.  If so, can I
turn it into something that Linux can use?  Perhaps a .icc file is exactly
that.

I was OK with the previous state where there was no colour profile.  Maybe
I can go back to that somehow.  I'm too lazy/backlogged/content to figure
that out.

I have a tremendous backlog of "should be easy but I don't yet
know/remember how" tasks.  One never knows how long they take until one
has accomplished them.  I lived with those horrible colours for over a
month.

My "war story" series is meant to document some of the victories.
Perhaps I'm too prideful to post them earlier, in the unsolved state.

I try to file bug reports when appropriate, even if I've solved the
problem for me.  This should be useful for all software but I consider it
a duty for free software users.