[GTALUG] OpenWRT 21.02 is on it's way!

Scott Sullivan scott at revident.net
Wed Apr 28 21:09:53 EDT 2021

Release Candidate 1 for OpenWRT 21.02 dropped last week.

https://downloads.openwrt.org/releases/21.02.0-rc1/

Notable Features that mattered to me:
* Kernel Upgrade, 4.14.221 => 5.4.111
* Availability of more 10G NIC drivers (bnx2x)
* UEFI boot images for x86 targets
* Raspberry Pi 4 support

I recently have been working on building out some beefier firewalls for
two sites with Fiber services. I needed something that could do
wireguard without being terribly CPU bound. I also wanted to support
greater then 1Gbps networking.

I went with some used Dell SFF 3020 machines. i5-4570, 4G RAM, and two
low profile PCIe slots (x16 & x1). Paired with some surplus BCM57840
cards and Intel 1G cards, these are turning into robust firewall boxs.

--
Scott Sullivan