[GTALUG] Linus Torvalds Responds to Linux Banning University of Minnesota

Alvin Starr alvin at netvel.net
Sun Apr 25 14:02:26 EDT 2021

On 4/25/21 11:32 AM, D. Hugh Redelmeier via talk wrote:
> | From: Aruna Hewapathirane via talk <talk at gtalug.org>
>
> Thanks for pointing this out.  (I used to subscribe to the LKML but it
> just got too voluminous.)
>
> | I am still trying to understand the reason 'why' would anyone even want to
> | do this ?
>
> The first question is "what, exactly, is 'this'?".
>
> I've ONLY read media reports and their recent apology.  So I'm not the
> most informed.
> <https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/CAK8KejpUVLxmqp026JY7x5GzHU2YJLPU8SzTZUNXU2OXC70ZQQ@mail.gmail.com/T/#u>
>
> Some reactions.
>
> The apology starts with:
>
>    "We sincerely apologize for any harm our research group did to the
>     Linux kernel community."

If the zdnet report is to be believed then There was at least one
attempt to insert code after being found out and asked to stop.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/greg-kroah-hartman-bans-university-of-minnesota-from-linux-development-for-deliberately-buggy-patches/

If the university was warned and took no action then it is perfectly
reasonable for them to be black listed.

Being blacklisted could effect the universities ability to draw in CS
students and I wonder if they will try some kind of legal action to be
allowed back in.

--
Alvin Starr                   ||   land:  (647)478-6285
alvin at netvel.net              ||