[GTALUG] Docker, NodeJS and complexity

William Witteman wwitteman at gmail.com
Thu Apr 22 09:55:56 EDT 2021

I have some existing projects to contribute to that use NodeJS and Docker,
and I am finding that getting set up to work on them is extremely daunting.

I have never really used Docker.  I have never really used NodeJS/npm/etc.

I do know Javascript, but I don't build projects like this - it reminds me
of Ruby-on-Rails, which I found to be a huge snarl of complexity.

I know that the initial development was done on Macs, but in theory at
least, I should be able to set up the Docker container and use that to get
me into an equivalent development environment, but I don't really know how.

Does anyone have a Debian-flavoured tutorial for setting up Docker/NodeJS
so that I can build and run someone else's code?

Thanks!