[GTALUG] Network disabled on PC after last update

David Collier-Brown davecb.42 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 18 12:47:09 EDT 2021

On 2021-04-18 12:20 p.m., sciguy via talk wrote:

> I have a desktop computer that dual boots into Ubuntu Studio and
> Windows 10. It is connected to the internet using a cat-5 cable to my
> router.
>
> After the last update and rebooting, it turns out that I no longer
> have ethernet on Linux. This is not true on Windows, as I am writing
> you this email from the same computer.
>
> I strongly suspect that there is an update issue that is disabling
> ethernet on Linux. Right now, my computer is in splendid isolation
> from the rest of the world. I can't even see computer resources from
> other computers in my apartment. I also can't see the router itself
> through my browser.
>
> Any ideas as to what to do next to diagnose the problem?

I'd start with the network manger GUI, see if you can see anything
obvious there, and if not, start debugging from the command-line.

In a previous life, I found the instructions for disabling network
manager contained a lot of useful information.

If you take that route, use script(1) and a notepad to carefully record
your steps, as a lot of networking stuff is sensitive to the order you
do things in, and you want to make a good map of where you went, for the
time when you want to undo the changes you made.

Oh, and make a backup of your home directory if you haven't already

--dave