[GTALUG] You may already have a Windows licence and not know it …

James Knott james.knott at jknott.net
Wed Apr 14 09:21:22 EDT 2021

On 2021-04-14 9:14 a.m., Znoteer via talk wrote:
>> I don't have it on my Thinkpad.  But then, it doesn't have the original
>> drive.
>>
> Mine is a thinkpad, too (x240), that I'm pretty sure probably started life
> with windows on it (I bought used so I'm not sure), but the file is not
> there, so it's not a sure thing.
>
> In the end, I guess I'm not disappointed, because I don't really have a use
> for Windows anyway.

Mine came with Windows 7, since updated to W10 and it's dual boot Linux
& Windows.  I do have some need for Windows, including my Garmin GPS
which has a Windows app to update it and a TP-Link managed switch, which
has a configuration app that runs on Windows. I have also had some work
related reasons for needing Windows.

One very important thing I did was to cover the Windows key with a Tux
sticker that nicely fits in the depression on that key. ;-)