[GTALUG] Idiomatic programming versus micro-optimizations

Jamon Camisso jamon.camisso at utoronto.ca
Fri Apr 9 20:24:23 EDT 2021

On 09/04/2021 16:09, Lennart Sorensen via talk wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 09, 2021 at 02:55:02PM -0400, Aruna Hewapathirane via talk wrote:
>> This is simply an attempt to inform and educate ( i am not trying to start
>> any flame wars ). This article I feel describes aptly why C will not go
>> away.
>> https://drewdevault.com/2019/03/25/Rust-is-not-a-good-C-replacement.html
>
> I certainly agree there are things C is the best choice for.  But it is
> probably a lot less than it is being used for.  No idea what Rust is good
> at, having never used it or looked at it.  I have encountered go code,
> and it seems OK so far.

Experimental Rust support is in linux-next:

https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/next/linux-next.git/tree/Documentation/rust/quick-start.rst

Here's an example driver:

https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/next/linux-next.git/tree/drivers/char/rust_example.rs

Work is ongoing to prove the integration can work longer term. I think
quite a bit has to do with supported architectures when using GCC or Clang.

Cheers, Jamon