[GTALUG] Idiomatic programming versus micro-optimizations

David Mason dmason at ryerson.ca
Fri Apr 9 15:52:29 EDT 2021

On Apr 9, 2021, 2:55 PM -0400, Aruna Hewapathirane <aruna.hewapathirane at gmail.com>, wrote:
> This is simply an attempt to inform and educate ( i am not trying to start any flame wars ). This article I feel describes aptly why C will not go away.
> https://drewdevault.com/2019/03/25/Rust-is-not-a-good-C-replacement.html
> Thanks - Aruna ::

Thanks, Aruna. It’s a good article. I don’t necessarily agree with all the premises, nor conclusions - most particularly the “we don’t need no parallelism” part - but there is legitimacy in the argument that Rust is more a C++ replacement than a C replacement.

I think the lifetime analysis is a game-changer. I’d much rather program in Rust, even with the “cruft” than in C (for the record I have written C compilers and have well over 100K lines of C code under my belt), because I think the safety and concurrency are critically important. Go is interesting, but has never caught my interest, partly because it has a garbage collector (not that I have a problem with garbage collection…. just if I’m going to use a GC’ed language I have a lot better options than Go).

Perhaps the eventual C replacement is a stripped-down Rust - lifetimes, type inference, safety + concurrency, but not much more.

../Dave