[GTALUG] Wayland [was] Re: Surveillance Capitalism [was another thread]

Russell Reiter rreiter91 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 8 12:27:57 EDT 2021

On Sun, Apr 4, 2021 at 1:19 AM Evan Leibovitch <evan at telly.org> wrote:

> On Sat, 3 Apr 2021 at 22:45, Alvin Starr via talk <talk at gtalug.org> wrote:
>
> [much snipped]
> <Ditto.>
> , what reason does anyone have that suggests a breakthrough in the future?
> Weyland?
>
> - Evan
>
> I'd seriously consider Wayland. I'm assuming you don't mean any of these
Weyland.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weyland

Also I'm going to try for a 2 4 1 here and start by saying thanks for the
tip on GraphineOS.

I shook the short change out of the old fruit jar which I keep at the
bottom of the tickle [tk] trunk, and purchased a Pixel 4 and installed
GraphineOS. The sandboxing of RF aligned with my own ideology. Without a
doubt this is the best sim voice connectivity I have ever had. Clear as a
bell conversations on cellular. This is now my emergency cell device and
not my daily driver. I use VOIP for that.

To do this, I had to revert to stock on Fedora on Wayland.  I tried
following all the helpful information. ie. what library setup to use on
linux etc. No joy, My personal frankensteined box wasn't up to the task. In
my last effort to install, I even tried the over the web flash. It was the
"error connecting to radio" message that saved the day for me.

I installed stock F33 from scratch and did the OTA flash. It just worked.
Actually in the docs Fedora was not recommended, ARCH being the preferred
dev platform.

I was mindful of the hypervisor issues of mapping usb through the virtual
machine. However, I will probably try that at the EOL of this device,
assuming that is still an option.

I did lose the KDE functionality of Kaffeine in the process, so I don't
have such a slick combo/video interface anymore but VLC, awkward as it is
as a point and click tv tuner, has matured substantially. Conversely, as
Cgroup V2 moves us deeper into the dynamic ILP fold, I imagine that this
KDE support will return with many improvements. This assumes of course,
that there is impetus to make those improvements.

I do use VLC for most video transcoding now so I always install it. It is
handy to just drag and drop the channel list or a web url into the
interface and have it just work.

F34 beta has Gnome 4. Gnome is the interface I most prefer on Fedora so I'm
going to take a look, after I install from scratch media. Udevadm settle
hangs around after a live media install and since this is deprecated now,
this presents a different set of issues for us linux users.

--
Russell