[GTALUG] Google wins over Oracle in Java API copyright suit

Lennart Sorensen lsorense at csclub.uwaterloo.ca
Thu Apr 8 11:37:25 EDT 2021

On Thu, Apr 08, 2021 at 12:46:49AM -0400, Nicholas Krause via talk wrote:
> While I would agree with your other points. The problem is you have two
> choices either a) people have to learn a newer way of doing OO or b)
> keep doing the same thing for the most part. Unfortunately, when designing
> a new language you kinda have the advantage of being more popular if you
> do a). Granted one thing that is much better about C++ is templates and now
> concepts are expanded at compile time in Java it seems that generics aren't.
> This can run into a runtime penalty, through C++ has the issue with try and
> catch which is a problem in the embedded or real time world. I would through
> not that I like C++'s OO if you've used C++20 considering some of it's
> changes like concepts.

The state of C++ today is not what it was when Java arrived.  There were
no templates, namespaces or STL.  Just a language somewhat based on C
with a bad class inheritance design.  C++ has improved quite a lot,
especially in the last decade.

If I had my way, functional languages would be what is used, and
definitely not any that were object oriented, at least not in the way C++
and Java are.  Multiple inheritance should not exist.

--
Len Sorensen