[GTALUG] RMS on britannica.com

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Wed Apr 7 10:21:04 EDT 2021

| From: Russell Reiter via talk <talk at gtalug.org>
|
| I stumbled across this. I think it's concise and well written. Cuts through
| the fud pretty well.
|
| https://www.britannica.com/biography/Richard-Stallman

I don't know exactly what you are referring to as "FUD" (fear,
uncertainty, and doubt).

The article seems to be mostly limited to non-controversial and positive
things.  It seems to be written very sympathetically.  That's probably
appropriate.

I certainly object to "One of the last of the “hackers,” computer
programmers who strongly believed in freely modifying and sharing computer
code,".  That's nonsense unless qualified somehow.

The covering of the Epstein / Minsky issue is very superficial and
consequently probably not misleading.  I've avoided studying the
underlying story so I cannot say much.

It has NO coverage of the other controversial issues.

So, no, I don't think that this cuts through the FUD.
I don't know that all the controversy is FUD.