[GTALUG] Google wins over Oracle in Java API copyright suit

David Collier-Brown davecb.42 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 6 17:35:08 EDT 2021

On 2021-04-06 4:27 p.m., James Knott via talk wrote:

> I could be wrong, but I seem to recall that Sun made Java available
> and encouraged it's use.  Then when Oracle bought Sun, they tried to
> rein it back in.  They did the same with OpenOffice.  So, this boils
> down to Oracle retroactively and unilaterally changing the terms for
> using Java.

I was there at the the time, and Sun absolutely did: Java was once a
pretty little language called Oak, designed for tiny embedded devices,
like set-top boxes and smart cards. It grew up, and then caught
elephantiasis. Android therefor seem to me like the kind of device an
adult Oak was designed for.

Changing the subject slightly, the US Supreme court said "even if we
assume you can copyright an interface, your suit will fail because it
meets one (actually two) of the fair-use criteria". That means the
question of copyrighting interfaces didn't get addressed.

I don't know US law, so interfaces might still be copyrightable in the
western court-region, but I rather suspect that the next time Oracle
wants to claim copyright on an interface, they'll have to start /all
over again/ and try to fool the next trial judge.  They one in the Java
case was a programmer, and didn't fall for it.

--dave