[GTALUG] WSL, threat or boon? [was Re:Surveillance Capitalism [was another thread]]

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Sun Apr 4 09:28:09 EDT 2021

| From: Russell Reiter via talk <talk at gtalug.org>

| I do have an interest in current events tho. What I see most recently is
| that RMS called out canonical for surveillance capitalism and bashed WSL
| for being a ploy to undermine free software.

I missed or forgot that.  I guess he expressed this in 2017 (it seems like
a lifetime ago).  I haven't found what he actually said (too lazy).

Personally, I think that imitation is fair game.  GNU and LINUX
certainly copied UNIX (and killed it but propagated many of its ideas).

Evan's talk this month will be another step down that road.

Fair competition is health for everyone (but not every thing).

I see, for example, the competition between Intel and AMD on the X86
front as killing Itanium, the favoured path of Intel.

On the other hand, enclosure is scary to me.  Linux has been enclosed
in the appliance world.  And those folks have rarely upstreamed any of
their work.

Is WSL enclosure?  It doesn't seem to be.

Is WSL somehow better than Linux?  If so, we have work to do to catch
up.