[GTALUG] Surveillance Capitalism [was another thread]

Dhaval Giani dhaval.giani at gmail.com
Fri Apr 2 15:02:05 EDT 2021

Russell,

I think we are capable of judging the two cases independently.

Instead of the conspiracy theories. Let's look at the one fact that we
are all aware of. Many women were uncomfortable around RMS and avoided
him. Many refused to participate in our community because of
interactions with him. Do you think RMS is more important than a
community of developers he is pushing away?

I want to explicitly state this. RMS is a major reason free software
is where it is. RMS's contributions to free software are gigantic.
However, RMS cannot be a leader of our community if he continues to
isolate a significant population of prospective developers. RMS the
contributor - YES. RMS the leader - NO.

RMS cannot be the poster child of our community if it is going to be
relevant in the future.

Dhaval