[GTALUG] USB power reporting Type-c super speed skirmish and libpartd error

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Wed Sep 23 14:26:57 EDT 2020

| From: Russell Reiter via talk <talk at gtalug.org>

| On Wed, Sep 23, 2020 at 9:40 AM D. Hugh Redelmeier via talk <talk at gtalug.org>
| wrote:

| I've made some progress and then lost it again. I had to take a high def
| photo of the writing on the cable to read that the cable is rated 3.0 and
| my mb is only rated 3.0 but the peripheral card is usb 3.1. I think this is
| why the mb connection hangs the system on usb 3.0, but the peripheral 3.1
| card does not. I'm not sure which iteration of usb provides "alternative"
| bus capabilities, ie. video and up to 100w power.

You don't care about video.  We don't know if you need larger power
for the disk.

| The mb type-c 3.0 port reports overcurrent when the device is attached and
| won't boot.

Reports to who?  How?  What do *you* observe

| On the adapter card the type is usb 3.1. and the device doesn't
| hang the system when booting,

When booting from what?  From the NVMe card via USB C?

|  but it also won't enumerate the drive

What do you mean "enumerate"?  What do you meant by "it"?

| > - reliably powering an NVMe drive, connected via USB C.
| >   What are its specified power requirements?

You didn't answer this question.

| >   What can the ports provide?
| >   USB C is a mess: one connector, several standards and options
| >   within those standards, especially with respect to power.
| >

| I may have to get a type-c 3.1 rated cable to go much further. It was all
| working fine at one point before the power outage.

I doubt that the cable is a problem.  But I guess that there's a
chance.

| I am updating the kernel
| regularly on Fedora 31

I think that that is a good idea but I think that it is unlikly to be
the problem.