[GTALUG] colocation downtown. Shared rack, non-profit price. Toronto Free-Net.

James Knott james.knott at jknott.net
Wed Sep 2 22:40:03 EDT 2020

On 9/2/20 9:31 PM, Digiital aka David via talk wrote:
> Hold a second. .. Toronto freenet still exists? ;) Dang.
> Freenets(cleveland, ottawa, Toronto )were one of the first systems I
> used.in <http://used.in> the early 90s

I also remember Freenet, though I wasn't a customer.  IIRC, they had a
POP at 151 Front St. W., when I worked there, over 25 years ago. That
would also appear to be where that shared rack is located.

My first ISP was io.org.  Back then I had a static IP over SLIP dial
up.  I seem to recall they had some sort of not quite kosher connection
with UoT, as the Internet hadn't quite become commercial yet.  Back in
those days, we had stuff like WAIS, gopher, archie, etc., as browsers
weren't yet popular.