[GTALUG] Updating my mailserver

Slackrat slackrat at free.fr
Tue Sep 1 13:02:00 EDT 2020

William Witteman via talk <talk at gtalug.org> writes:

> I have run a mailserver for my domains for a long time.  I have not
> thought about its ability to send outbound mail for a while though,
> and my logs tell me what my experience already suggested - it cannot
> send email to Gmail (and probably lots of other places).
>
> Can anyone recommend a tutorial for setting up my mailserver (I'm
> using postfix on Debian) so that Gmail and others will accept my
> mails?
>
> I am pretty sure there is reverse DNS that I don't have set up, but
> there are probably other details I don't know about too.

Personally I use, and have always used GNU-Emacs.

>From time to time pronlems arose which I solved by signing up with
"smtp2go" [FREE if small volume] and my domain host "dnsexit" [20$
per month as backup] so  my ",authinfo" file looks thusly:

machine smtp.smtp2go.com            login billh at sdf.org       port 587  password GUESS
machine smtp.smtp2go.com            login billh at sdf.org       port 25   password GUESS
machine smtp.smtp2go.com            login billh at sdf.org       port 2525 password GUESS
machine relay.dnsexit.com           login algarveserversrelay port 940  password WHEREYOUFROM
machine news.eternal-september.org  login inconnu             port 119  password FOOLEDYOu

Just a word of warning though, .....free.fr manage to deeo six anything
with "gmail" in the address, etc section and so do "proxad".the parent
company of FF and seceral others.

So I just use my iPhome for gmail to certain mailboxes wich I set im my
configs.

My main addresses inbound via are freeshell/sdf.org and they seem to
take anythind, nor hace I experienced any problems other than gmail with
proxad/free.

Just my 2 bits worth.

--
William Henderson MBA, CA, CPA