[GTALUG] Group knowledge base

Mike el.fontanero at gmail.com
Fri Oct 30 16:02:02 EDT 2020

On 2020-10-30 3:34 p.m., David Thornton via talk wrote:
> 3. Mediawiki - my personal fav only because 1. OSS 2. plugable such
> that I can get neat semantic stuff to work. I use categories a lot, I
> use REDIRECT alot. I'm a firm believer in loose pluralism to start and
> rigorous lexicography as time passed. I love that I can do a stand
> alone server deploy of it, a two tier version, a containerized
> version, a cloud version, or a massive scaled out version. I love
> being able to do fancy semantic work in mediawiki. ( see
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semantic_wiki )

I second the semantic mediawiki plug.  My group still uses mediawiki
pretty extensively despite having been told that we don't...

We originally built a lightweight project management environment in it.
We don't make much use of all that semantic power anymore, but even
though our official documentation is elsewhere, the wiki is still our
standard repository of shared (especially miscellaneous) knowledge.  I
guess I would say that even though mediawiki is larger than many wiki
implementations, it's nevertheless easy to deploy, and can grow
enormously in complexity if you have the need.

Mike