[GTALUG] Free to a good home: Zeo Bedside alarm clock

Seneca Cunningham tentra at gmail.com
Fri Oct 2 07:01:01 EDT 2020

I’ve given a lightning talk before about the Zeo[1], an alarm clock that gained a bit of a following, which used a headband with a cloth sensor that it used to estimate your sleep cycle.  I haven’t used mine in ages, it needs some work to return to its former glory (i.e. the monitor pod battery is dead), and it was just taking up space.  So, I’ve decided to offer it up for someone else to play with.  Had this been in the past, this interesting clock would have likely visited a Hacklab Junk Independence Day.

My Zeo has the firmware necessary to use the Zeo Raw Data Library, a Python 2 library, on it, and I have the USB cable I built to connect to it (as well as the SD reader the clock came with).  I found some copies of the Zeo Raw Data Library still floating around[2].  I also have a sealed headband.  However, you would need to open up the pod that attaches to the headband to replace the battery.  People have done this before.  They have also made their own replacement sensor headbands[3], which need replacing more frequently than the pod battery.

[1] https://blog.chaosrestrained.com/zeo.html
[2] http://www.sleepstreamonline.com/rdl/starting.html
[3] https://www.instructables.com/DIY-Replacement-Zeo-Sleep-Monitor-Headband-Sensor/