[GTALUG] SSL Certs for both web and email servers

William Witteman wwitteman at gmail.com
Mon Nov 30 23:45:14 EST 2020

Hi!

Can I use the same SSL (from letsencrypt) cert for both web and email traffic?

I have three domains and a small but invariant number of subdomains
that I want to encrypt - should I try to pull them all under one SSL
cert, or do one for each domain, or one for every subdomain?  I don't
need a wildcard, but I would like something relatively painless if
possible.

I use Apache2 for web (running virtual servers) and Dovecot for
inbound email.  There are a lot of old tutorials, but I haven't found
one that answers my questions quite yet.

Thanks!