[GTALUG] desktop thoughts on Black Friday

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Mon Nov 30 04:16:19 EST 2020

| From: Evan Leibovitch via talk <talk at gtalug.org>

| Yeah, my buys this season were upgrades at the human interface level, a
| second 4K monitor and a new keyboard (and a few weeks ago, an ergonomic
| vertical mouse).
|
| Through the year, upgrading RAM and replacing all boot drives from spinning
| disks to SSDs have provided noticeable performance boost and are relatively
| cheap.

Yeah.

Well today (still Sunday for me), I kind of went nuts.

My son's 3 or 4 year old system was failing in a way that I couldn't
diagnose over the phone.  So: chuck out the motherboard and 6th gen i5
and replace it, probably with an AMD 3700X.  Boy AMD is popular; the
current gen is scarce and not discounted.

Then late at night I came upon two deals that I could not and did not
resist:
<https://forums.redflagdeals.com/lenovo-canada-thinkcentre-m75n-iot-nano-desktop-amd-dual-core-256-ssd-238-2424677/>
<https://forums.redflagdeals.com/dell-dell-precision-workstation-3440-i3-10100-8gb-253-taxes-2424758/>

The first one beats the Chuwi, I think, for driving TV.  The second
would take more power than I would like for that application.

Intel video disappoints me.  I do think that the Xe of the Intel Core
i 11th generation might well be a winner.