[GTALUG] desktop thoughts on Black Friday

Nicholas Krause xerofoify at gmail.com
Sat Nov 28 17:02:31 EST 2020

On 11/28/20 3:57 PM, D. Hugh Redelmeier via talk wrote:
> | From: Stewart C. Russell via talk <talk at gtalug.org>
>
> | On 2020-11-28 12:31 p.m., D. Hugh Redelmeier via talk wrote:
> | > … ==== NVMe SSD support ====
> |
> | Sometimes need weird proprietary drivers to debug/get best performance out of.
> | When my Intel NVMe thingy failed I needed a blob to see the diagnostics. I
> | hope that's no longer the case.
>
> Ewww.  I did not know that.
>
> We do have a couple of laptops with sockets that support NVMe SSDs.  I
> think that one actually has an NVMe SSD (one has a SATA drive in that
> socket).  I've not noticed anything about this disk, a great state of
> affairs.
>
> | > ==== fancy new features added to USB after USB 3.0 ====
> |
> | Charging, expensive cables.
>
> Somehow charging now involves negotiation (of voltage? of current?) and
> this seems to require cables to have active circuitry.  That makes them
> expensive.  Mind you, sometimes USB C cables are neither expensive nor
> smart.
>
> Or perhaps you are referring to cables that connect DisplayPort or other
> odd things to USB C / 3.x.  These are necessary because new laptops have
> fewer and fewer kinds of ports.  And fewer ports of any kind.
>
> | > DRM is mixed into this, often sidelining Linux desktops.
> |
> | Netflix seems to work with the Firefox Widevine plugin. It even had a "Do you
> | want to install this - you might not want to" popup.
>
> Interesting.
>
> One complaint about cheap TV boxes from Shenzen companies is that they are
> not authorized to display things like Netflix and YouTube at better than
> Standard Definition (detailed rules are not in my head).  I wonder whether
> FireFox on them would solve that problem.
>
> We use a Xaiomi Mi Box, which is running licensed Android TV.
>
> There are a bunch of inexpensive AMLOGIC s905x3 boxes which could then be
> interesting. (s905x3-b is the same but with a Dolby Audio license; rare
> and expensive.)
>
> Consider, for example, this colourful model
> <https://www.banggood.com/HK1-Box-Amlogic-S905X3-4GB-RAM-32GB-ROM-5G-WIFI-bluetooth-4_0-1000M-LAN-Android-9_0-4K-8K-H_265-TV-Box-Support-Google-Assistant-p-1608874.html>
>
> Comparing with Raspberry Pi 4:
>
> - cheaper especially when including power supply and case and SD card.
>
> - CPU is a bit weaker, but the hardware crypto is way faster.
>
> - Armbian (derived from Raspbian, derived from debian) should be trivial
>    to put on it.
>
> - only some have gigabit ethernet
>
> - eMMC should be faster than SD
>
> - no ability to hook up random signals
>
> Some Shenzen boxes are considerably more expensive for reasons I don't
> understand.  Those with s922x or Rockchip rk3399 SoCs, for example.
>
> | > ==== support for video-calling and video-conferencing ====
> | >
> | > We just use notebooks for this.
> |
> | The advantage of recent notebooks and tablets for this is hardware
> | acceleration of audio and video CODECs. All the video platforms are processor
> [...]
So I've not upgraded my computer in a few years. Honestly I would
suspect you would get more out of just updating bottlenecks if there
are any or want something new by adding new hardware. Even most people
who play video games these days just use a 4 year old computer and
update the GPU as that's the only recent hardware upgrade that matters.

Reusing components has become rather common and it may be a
better way to go.
As for codecs I'm not sure of what is using x265 but that
may be the only missing from Haswell chips that is mainstream now.

That's just my thoughts through,
Nick

Fundamentally an organism has conscious mental states if and only if
there is something that it is like to be that organism--something it is
like for the organism. - Thomas Nagel