[GTALUG] how to save multiple copies of a file

Michael Galea michael at galeahome.ca
Thu Nov 19 14:37:39 EST 2020

On 19/11/2020 10.54, o1bigtenor via talk wrote:
> Greetings
>

> I'm wanting to save a file (from a text editor) in multiple locations
> simply and easily.
>
> I've looked at 'parallel' and ran into the idea of symlink chains but
> so far parallel seems
> more for multiple in and out and symlink chains besides a reference I
> can't find more information.
> I think the rsync and cron would likely create a plethora of files
> which would then need cleaning so
> as not to waste too much space. So - - - - I dunno where to look next
> - - - please?
>
> TIA

I think anyone solving this problem would ask..
1) Are the mirror locations on the same filesystem?
2) Are the mirror locations on the same host?
3) Is there a hierarchy of precedence (e.g. one rw file and multiple ro
copies)?  One location to many. Many to many?
4) If the answer to 3) is no, will you have to merge?

Naively, 1) can be solved by links, 2-3) by rsync (possibly with
--delete), 4) would require something like meld.  You can address the
cron issue more intelligently with scripting inotify if the dirs
involved are somewhat static.

I have implemented cron scheduled sync of whole directories over the net
using a mirror and mirrored directory on each peer, rsync and ssh-agent,
with merges performed manually.  But at that point you might as well use
git, unless you can't.

Hope this offers some ideas..

--
Michael Galea