[GTALUG] First new home computer for decades - Raspberry Pi 400

o1bigtenor o1bigtenor at gmail.com
Wed Nov 11 11:01:17 EST 2020

On Wed, Nov 11, 2020 at 9:55 AM Giles Orr via talk <talk at gtalug.org> wrote:

> On Wed, 11 Nov 2020 at 09:10, James Knott via talk <talk at gtalug.org> wrote:
> >
> > On 2020-11-10 9:56 p.m., Lennart Sorensen via talk wrote:
> > > My second thought was: They removed the composite port.  I probably
> > > would never personally use it, but I could imagine there are some people
> > > that like attaching things to old CRTs for gaming that would miss it.
> > > But perhaps most people like myself just don't care about analog video
> > > anymore so they probably made the right call on that.
> >
> > A CRT monitor would have to be pretty old.  I bought my first LCD
> > monitor almost 15 years ago and even then it was a refurb.  Then we get
> > to wasted space and power.
>
> And let's not forget weight: a 17" CRT was 20kg.  They're freaking
> brutal to move.  All that lead shielding and a huge glass tube ...
> The death of the CRT is mourned by very few indeed.

I still have one in the house - - - - 1600 x 1200 and a screen resolution and
clarity that none of the LCDs can even get to. Yes its old - - - but for an
occasionally used monitor - - - - its still quite nice. Yes its power
consumption
isn't great but for the amount it gets used - - - - no sense in
replacing it for
that reason either.