[GTALUG] question on Debian

Lennart Sorensen lsorense at csclub.uwaterloo.ca
Fri Nov 6 10:38:30 EST 2020

On Sun, Nov 01, 2020 at 10:12:59AM -0600, o1bigtenor via talk wrote:
> Debian has been holding back updates on language updates like GCC for
> some 3 or more months at this point. I had been waiting to update my
> system hoping that I could get things all together as it were. Today I
> bit the bullet and upgraded a whole bunch of stuff.
>
> Anyone know why this, imho important, software is being held with no
> updates for so long?

If there are other packages that it breaks, they are probably trying to
coordinate having everything ready before they move everything together.
They are generally quite good at handling these transitions.

New gcc versions are generally quite good at breaking stuff after all.
I still haven't tracked down why gcc 9 broke some scipy fortran code,
while gcc 8 compiles it just fine.  It fails to link due to missing
symbols for functions that are clearly in the code.  I haven't checked
if gcc 10 fixes the problem, since I have other things to deal with.

--
Len Sorensen