[GTALUG] I’m obviously way behind in my reading: IBM owns Redhat

Russell Reiter rreiter91 at gmail.com
Thu May 28 18:32:53 EDT 2020

On Thu, May 28, 2020 at 4:53 PM Lennart Sorensen <
lsorense at csclub.uwaterloo.ca> wrote:

> On Thu, May 28, 2020 at 09:27:09AM -0400, Russell Reiter via talk wrote:
> > Streetcars in Toronto use narrow gauge rails and trucks on the city
> streets
> > in order to provide for and blend two lanes of vehicular traffic each
> way.
> > Speed and reliability is limited by those environmental factors.
>
> Toronto streetcars run TTC gauge which is 60mm wider than standard gauge.
> It sure isn't narrow.

Your right it is labeled as broad gauge.  TTC gauge rails @ 4'10 1/2in are
narrower than legacy broad gauge rails @ 5'6in, which were eventually
replaced with standard gauge @ 4'8 1/2 in.

Apparently TTC gauge was implemented to allow the set of wheels on one side
of a horse drawn wagon to ride in one track to stay reasonably centred in
the roadway without the other side slipping into the track on that side.

> LRT's use dedicated surface access and Toronto's first dedicated LRT was
> > planned and enacted a few short years ago.
>
> Well they are working on it.  Those are standard gauge, so slightly
> narrower than the streetcars and subways.

Those cars would be able to connect with the existing higher speed rail
corridors. Everything seems to have a pantograph now, so it looks like the
tech is heading that way. I did hear that they are going to have to raise
the height of the Dufferin bridge going over the tracks to the CNE grounds.
They're doing this in order to make way for the overhead wiring, but I'm
not sure when that is going to start.

Probably on the very back burner now, all things considered.

--
Russell