[GTALUG] I’m obviously way behind in my reading: IBM owns Redhat

James Knott james.knott at jknott.net
Thu May 28 07:02:19 EDT 2020

On 2020-05-27 09:20 PM, Russell Reiter wrote:

>     Funny thing, I have been working with telecom, computers and networks
>     for decades, but have never, not once, seen FDDI implemented anywhere.
>

> I don't necessarily think that's a funny thing, you don't typically
> get the pedigree of every network your data traverses, unless you
> actually search for it.

I have worked hands on with a variety of systems and networks.  I have
worked on telcom, cell networks, office LANs, cell networks, Rogers
networks, in central offices, factories warehouses and more. I have seen
a lot.

> Toronto is a pretty late adopter of LRT tech, so in that sense, others
> have done our structural groundwork for us. I rode my first
> articulated urban LRT vehicle in Europe in 1967. The pilot LRT project
> for Toronto didn't materialize til 2001. Sure we had a couple of bendy
> buses but surface LRT was not on the Toronto transit radar at all; not
> for all those decades.

LRT used to be called "streetcars".  Toronto has had them for well over
a century.

> Wasn't that Air Canada system linked to the US carriers through SABRE
> Inc's frame relay system which allowed consumers to be able to access
> a computerized booking system using DTMF tones.

They connected to Sabre and eventually moved to it.  However, I had no
experience with it.  The system at Front St. was based on a UNIVAC
system and I worked on the communications front end, which ran on
Collins computers.