[GTALUG] I’m obviously way behind in my reading: IBM owns Redhat

El Fontanero el.fontanero at gmail.com
Wed May 27 12:56:53 EDT 2020

On 2020-05-27 12:39 p.m., Russell Reiter via talk wrote:

> I also had a weird experience when I used a line adapter to plug a
> guitar into the line in and play out the speakers. After I defined the
> loopback device for pulse audio I'm not sure what it was but, when I
> adjusted the potentiometers on the guitar for base, treble and volume,
> I seemed to be able to tune in an audio broadcast channel and got that
> signal out the speakers. I know it was a broadcast, I heard it
> clearly, it was a one sided conversation, but in a language I don't know.

The guitar has big coils: the circuit has high impedances, and in the
case of a connection to a regular audio line input, it's not optimally
terminated.  And bingo, an impromptu radio receiver.  We used to hear a
HAM radio operator key up transmission through our subwoofer. You could
see his antenna rising up over the houses a block over.

> So my thought was to get an audio breakout to usb via the
> Thunderspy port, but that would defeat the purpose of using the
> Realtek codec features of the board. What I really need is a good
> quality junction between the guitar phono I/O and the computers stereo
> line-in.

Guitar in to a mic preamp is not as exciting but is fairly clean.  From
there you can go to line level with impunity.

Linux, Linux, Linux. There. :-)

Cheers,
Mike