[GTALUG] I’m obviously way behind in my reading: IBM owns Redhat

Russell Reiter rreiter91 at gmail.com
Wed May 27 11:41:15 EDT 2020

On Wed, May 27, 2020 at 11:18 AM Lennart Sorensen <
lsorense at csclub.uwaterloo.ca> wrote:

> On Wed, May 27, 2020 at 11:01:31AM -0400, Russell Reiter via talk wrote:
> > I believe it's used in bidirectional fiber-optic communications. To what
> > extent, I'm not sure and to be honest I just looked that up.
>
> FDDI was essentially token ring on fiber, but it too is long dead due
> to ethernet.  I don't recall seeing anything in the last couple of
> decades that used token ring.  I am curious what you found.

Sorry that was just a reference to the fact that FDDI is deployed in the
past. You'd have to figure that if the effort was made to use a dedicated
fiber network in a complex, business or government, they'd still be using
it wouldn't they?

The reference also said it's losing ground, but as with all things tech,
optical connections are becoming commonplace in IoT and old stuff becomes
new again.

The paranoid me wonders if my computer speakers are a microphone also. :-0

--
Russell