[GTALUG] I’m obviously way behind in my reading: IBM owns Redhat

James Knott james.knott at jknott.net
Wed May 20 22:49:13 EDT 2020

On 2020-05-20 10:31 PM, David Mason via talk wrote:
> This is not news… except to me, but I thought the article might be
> interesting to someone.
>
> https://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/a24397193/ibm-red-hat/
> <https://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/a24397193/ibm-red-hat/?source=nl&utm_source=nl_pop&utm_medium=email&date=102918>

IIRC, IBM also had some involvement with SuSE a few years ago and ran it
on their "big iron".  Back in the late '90s, when I was working at IBM,
I was on the distribution lists for various software and I'd frequently
find packs of a few CDs in my mail slot.  One of the lists I was on was
for Linux and the pack would contain the various distros available at
the time.  In fact, I first started working with Linux at IBM, when I
installed Mandrake on a ThinkPad, where it took a bit of effort to get
it working with token ring.  A co-worker was never able to get Debian
going properly on a micro channel desktop system, again due to token
ring issues.  Linux didn't like token ring. ;-)

My first Linux experience at home was a firewall, based on Slackware,
though I had tried earlier setting up Yggdrasil, without much luck.