[GTALUG] Compressing an image of a microSD card

Lennart Sorensen lsorense at csclub.uwaterloo.ca
Thu May 14 18:03:08 EDT 2020

On Thu, May 14, 2020 at 04:50:12PM -0400, William Park via talk wrote:
> I had to do this kind of thing before, but I don't remember loading
> "loop" module with options.  I think "losetup" does it or with some
> options.

Some distributions may setup default arguments for loop to enable
partitions automatically.

Certainly looking on debian, with loop loaded, max_part and max_loop
are 0 when I look at /sys/module/loop/parameters.

However I do see if I run losetup -P /dev/loop0 test.img, it does in fact
enable partitions so it seems things have been improved in the kernel.

If max_part is non zero however, it auto scans for partitions, without
needing the -P option to losetup.  But saves reloading the module.

--
Len Sorensen