[GTALUG] Cheesiest way of backing up?

Lennart Sorensen lsorense at csclub.uwaterloo.ca
Mon May 11 10:50:23 EDT 2020

On Fri, May 08, 2020 at 06:57:38PM -0400, Gron Arthur via talk wrote:
> I'd have to move to the recent release of Debian to get Duplicity to
> work. So I've passed on this option.
>
> I can't mount the backup I've created with restic, not sure why. So,
> I've also passed on this option.
>
> Now I'm just going to compress and password protect with 7z, and
> upload to Backblaze. It's mostly personal files, like pictures, that
> can be easily archived.
>
> How cheesy is this?

Well it is highly inefficient to be sending all the data each time.
That's why I use rsnapshot instead.  But that does require access to a
shell on both ends.  Only transferring the changes using rsync, and
keeping efficient deltas over time is great.  Running a backup every 4
hours or so is a non issue and takes very little time and is totally
automated with cron.

--
Len Sorensen