[GTALUG] Free Linux VMs

Alvin Starr alvin at netvel.net
Mon May 11 09:18:43 EDT 2020

On 5/11/20 8:40 AM, James Knott via talk wrote:
> On 2020-05-11 08:11 AM, Alvin Starr via talk wrote:
>> Its not quite that simple.
>
> Yes it is, provided you get a judgment.  I don't know all the details
> about landlord/tenant relations, but there comes a point where the
> landlord has a lien on the property, which can be enforced by the
> courts.  Of course, there is a difference between residential and
> commercial properties.

The magical phrase is "provided you get a judgement" and having been
through the process of getting a judgment I know that it is not simple.
But simple may be in the eye of the beholder so let me say that getting
a judgment was not simple for me.

The original context was:

>     I posted that story about NCIX on an engineering forum, and we discussed the ethics of it.  To hell with lawyers.  You are the landlord, and you have not been paid rent, and you have padlocked the place.  Somebody offers you $10K for the servers.  You are a low tech person.  You have a mortgage.  What do you do?  Do you have any obligations to honour NDAs?  Do you have any clue of how to search hard drives for sensitive information?  Is it ethical for you to do so?

It says nothing about prior judgments and within that there is the "To
hell with lawyers" implying much less likelihood of having a judgment.
Your right in that if you work within the system you have some choices
for remedy.
You will still not likely see all your money and now you have legal fees
on top of your original losses.

I was replying to the ethics of just selling the contents outside of any
discussion about following legal procedures.

--
Alvin Starr                   ||   land:  (647)478-6285
alvin at netvel.net              ||