[GTALUG] Free Linux VMs

Alvin Starr alvin at netvel.net
Mon May 11 08:11:42 EDT 2020

On 5/10/20 10:50 PM, Howard Gibson wrote:
> [snip]
>> The NCIX one is not surprising because the bankruptcy lawyers have no
>> idea of what they have and don't have any responsibility to guard public
>> privacy.
> Alvin,
>
>     I recall hearing on the news about some guy who bought an old computer with the UNIX source code on it.  That must have been the incident.
>
>     I posted that story about NCIX on an engineering forum, and we discussed the ethics of it.  To hell with lawyers.  You are the landlord, and you have not been paid rent, and you have padlocked the place.  Somebody offers you $10K for the servers.  You are a low tech person.  You have a mortgage.  What do you do?  Do you have any obligations to honour NDAs?  Do you have any clue of how to search hard drives for sensitive information?  Is it ethical for you to do so?

Its not quite that simple.
I understand the desire to want to do something to recoup your losses
but selling the assets of someone else is not the answer.

So you are the Landlord and you have not been paid and have the place
padlocked and someone offers you $10K for the computers and equipment in
that doctors office???
You may be a low tech person with a mortgage but you will likely know
that that will end badly.

Or its a garage rental. Do you sell the guys Ferrari for the back rent?
Now that would be tempting but likely as not that would also end badly.

I have been on the side of being the aggrieved person who is owed cash
and I do know the feeling of anger and wanting to strike out but after
hours on the phone with a lawyer friend I was told I needed to learn to
live with it or find a new way to make a livelihood.

--
Alvin Starr                   ||   land:  (647)478-6285
alvin at netvel.net              ||