[GTALUG] Free Linux VMs

Alvin Starr alvin at netvel.net
Sun May 10 19:48:14 EDT 2020

On 5/10/20 2:03 PM, Howard Gibson via talk wrote:
> On Sun, 10 May 2020 13:09:47 -0400
> Alvin Starr via talk <talk at gtalug.org> wrote:
>
>> On 5/10/20 11:04 AM, Howard Gibson via talk wrote:
> Alvin,
>
>     I am fascinated by this incident...
>
>     http://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/09/21/ncix_servers_sold/

This is not a new story.

A lot of years ago I worked for a company that wanted to develop a Unix
workstation for CAD/CAM applications but they ran out of cash.
Some Dentist bought the hardware at the fire sale and got a source copy
of AT&T Unix.
He then tried to extort cash out of AT&T  with the threat of releasing
the source code.
Well needless to say it did not go well for him.

Many years later I bought a tape backup system on Ebay.
It came with about 10 tapes that had the complete MSSQL for an HMO in
California.
Including patient data and billing information.

The NCIX one is not surprising because the bankruptcy lawyers have no
idea of what they have and don't have any responsibility to guard public
privacy.

--
Alvin Starr                   ||   land:  (647)478-6285
alvin at netvel.net              ||