[GTALUG] Free Linux VMs

Alvin Starr alvin at netvel.net
Sun May 10 13:09:47 EDT 2020

On 5/10/20 11:04 AM, Howard Gibson via talk wrote:
> On Sun, 10 May 2020 12:06:20 +0200
> ac via talk <talk at gtalug.org> wrote:
>> in my opinion, avoid any ongoing "free" services, more so if it is a
>> huge multinational doing the offering as the huge companies all have
>> some sort of "dominate the planet" and kill off all competition type
>> long term goal...
> ac,
>
>     How legal do you think it is for a free online database to mine your
> data?  I would regard this as a thread.

Rule 1:  nothing is free.

Rule 2: who ever holds your data owns your data.

The legality of monetizing your data depends on the terms of service
that you agreed to.
But those are so general and only protect the service provider that its
likely that your data is theirs to us as they see fit and if there is a
problem because of their use of that data its your fault and the
responsibility will be inherited by all your children into perpetuity.

Think of it like the thief who tries to steal your old rear-projection
television and gives himself a hernia.
Then suing you for his medical expenses and loss of revenue.

--
Alvin Starr                   ||   land:  (647)478-6285
alvin at netvel.net              ||