[GTALUG] AMD releases 3100 and 3300x

Nicholas Krause xerofoify at gmail.com
Sat May 9 17:41:58 EDT 2020

On 5/9/20 1:16 PM, William Park via talk wrote:
> On Sat, May 09, 2020 at 08:00:33AM -0400, Dave Collier-Brown via talk wrote:
>> I suspect the new low-cost chip is a simplified version of one of the
>> four processor cores, and might cost about 1/5 of what the server
>> chips cost to make.
> Or rather, ones that failed QA. :-)
Its nice to see 4 cores become mainstream.  A lot of programs don't take
advantage of the
extra threads if you look into it. Actually most desktop programs don't
scale pass 2 fast
cores including video games. With 4 cores being mainstream and at a low
price it will
be nice to see software especially for the desktop start to be written
more with 4 and more
cores in mind. Hopefully this does happen but I'm assuming it will take
a few years or so.

Through I would mention the extra 20 dollars on the 3100x is worth it
due to it being one
module if you know about AMD'S CCX interconnects. Its similar to NUMA
but on one chip
for those who don't know.

Cheers,

Nick

--
Fundamentally an organism has conscious mental states if and only if there is something that it is like to be that organism--something it is like for the organism. - Thomas Nagel