[GTALUG] (off topic) Backup/restore of text messages on Android phone

James Knott james.knott at jknott.net
Thu May 7 14:24:38 EDT 2020

On 2020-05-07 01:48 PM, James Knott wrote:
>> I went tohttps://messages.google.com/web  as instructed on the app, and
>> scan the QR code.  It says "Incorrect Code".  Maybe, it's because I'm
>> not on the original phone.
>
> I don't think that's the issue.  I've only used Messages with my
> current phone, but the messages go back to April 2014, when I had my
> first smart phone.  Also, while I may have, I don't recall scanning a
> QR code.

There's a bit more info on that QR code here:
https://support.google.com/messages/answer/7611075?p=web_computer&visit_id=637244725294859444-1318004800&rd=1

Apparently, it's tied to the computer you're using to read the messages,
not the app or phone.

"*Note*: The QR code for Messages for web is unique to your computer and
pairs the mobile app to that computer. You can pair your Messages
account on multiple devices, but only one will be active at a time. When
you open Messages for web on a computer, your conversations on any other
computers or browser tabs will become inactive."