[GTALUG] Actual ttyS0 MIA

Stewart C. Russell scruss at gmail.com
Thu May 7 10:52:34 EDT 2020

On my desktop (i7-4790K, 32 GB DDR3, Asus H97M-E) I've run out of serial
ports I can usefully access via USB serial adapters*. The motherboard
does have a real COM port on it, though, and just after I built the
system I added an adapter cable/bracket (one of these, IIRC:
https://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=5_1336_1449&item_id=094057).
But it's never worked as a port, and I want to make it work.

It's enabled in the BIOS and Linux (Ubuntu 19.10) finds it:

     ttyS0 at I/O 0x3f8 (irq = 4, base_baud = 115200) is a 16550A

I'm a member of `dialout`, and the ports seem to check out:

     $ ls -l /dev/ttyS0 /dev/ttyUSB0
     crw-rw----  1 root dialout   4, 64 May  6 21:54 /dev/ttyS0
     crw-rw----+ 1 root dialout 188,  0 May  3 07:50 /dev/ttyUSB0

No data goes in or out. Curiously `stty -F /dev/ttyS0` hangs for a few
seconds, but that's the only odd thing I see.

Hardware serial ports are kind of ancient history. Anyone remember
ancient magic to make 'em work? There's a chance that ASUS don't use the
standard serial pin header assignment: I'll trace that if necessary.

thanks,
  Stewart

*: you run out of ways to identify the interfaces via /dev/serial/*.
Unless I reinvested a fortune in real FTDI adapters with unique serial
numbers, I'm kind of stuck. I currently use: 1 real FTDI, 1 knock-off
FTDI, a QinHeng HL-340, a Prolific PL2303 and a Silicon Labs CP210. I
have another knock-off FTDI and another Prolific, but they identify
identically and make device selection problematic.