[GTALUG] Acer Aspire 3 A315-21 laptop has mono sound only?

Scott Allen mlxxxp at gmail.com
Sun May 3 08:16:27 EDT 2020

On Sun, 3 May 2020 at 06:51, Ken Heard via talk <talk at gtalug.org> wrote:
> The result for all the tests described in the last two paragraphs was
> the same.  In every case there was sound from only one channel.

> To me it seems improbable that both HDMI cables would be faulty at the
> same time; that surely is too much of a coincidence, especially as one
> is supposed to be a good one. If that assumption is correct then the
> HDMI jack on the laptop must be at fault.

As I believe someone has previously pointed out, with HDMI the data
for both (or more) audio channels are multiplexed over the same wires,
along with the video. There aren't separate connections for each
channel. If you're getting sound for one channel then it can't
possibly be a bad HDMI connection, either in the cable or a connector.

<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI#Transition-Minimized_Differential_Signaling_(TMDS)>

--
Scott