[GTALUG] Laptop recommendations?

David Mason dmason at ryerson.ca
Fri May 1 15:48:12 EDT 2020

Waaaaay off-topic, but this reminds me of writing “Cold Start” cards for the IBM 1130. A card had 80 columns and 12 rows, so you had 80 words of program but the instructions needed to be carefully chosen because you only had 12 bits and the other 4 bits were filled in by hardware.

The standard one moved itself out of the way and then read the first sector off the disk. But someone wrote a “rabbit” card which would reproduce itself on every card in the hopper (typically you’d put a cold start card on the front of your deck and then hit the Initial Program Load sequence… so the rabbit card would destroy the whole deck!! One that I wrote basically made the line printer dance around the room (a.k.a. destroy itself if you didn’t stop it quickly).

../Dave